Many people find South African cuisine to be delicious and packed full of flavour, and, like the inhabitants of the country, diverse
and colorful! We have sourced a wide (and ever growing) range of South African products for your enjoyment, including well-known delicasies such as Boerewors and Biltong, Snacks and Cereals,
Chutneys and Marinades, and suitable beverages to complete your South African taste experience!
You can also place an online order to collect from us - so whenever you are in Berlin you can pop in and save yourself the postage charges!
Whether you like it hot and spicy, or mild and fruity, our range of condiments are guaranteed to give you a 'Taste of Africa'!
Unique South African chips (crisps), biscuits and rusks, and cereals to start your day off in the right way.
South African soft drinks, warm drinks and alcoholic beverages - perfect for a 'sundowner' anywhere in the world!
What is Boerewors? Boerewors (pronounced BOO-ruh-VORS) is a South African fresh sausage that is perfect for the grill. The name means “farmer’s sausage” and comes from a combination of the Afrikaans words boer (‘farmer’) and wors (‘sausage’).
Like most sausages, there are specifics about the way boerewors should be made (at least 90% meat, with the remaining 10% being spices, seasonings, and preservatives like vinegar and salt). The sausages must contain beef, but can also include some pork or lamb, no more than 30% of the meat content may be made up of fat.
Boerewors seasoning characteristically includes coriander, black pepper, nutmeg, and allspice, along with a dark vinegar (malt vinegar). The vinegar and salt act to preserve the sausages as well as adding flavor. This combination of spices and vinegar creates a unique flavor that is very characteristic of South African cuisine. What makes boerewors stand out, in addition to its unique flavor, is the way the meat is ground. Boerewors is a course-ground sausage, giving it a more chunky and coarse texture, rather than the fine and smooth texture that you may be used to from, say, a German wurst.
What is Biltong? Biltong is a form of dried, cured meat that originated in South Africa. The word Biltong is from the Dutch bil ('rump') and tong ('strip' or 'tongue').
It is typically made from raw fillets of meat cut into strips following the grain of the muscle, or flat pieces sliced across the grain. Meat is generally cured in a brine of vinegar base and then spiced with coriander, salt, pepper, sugar and chili and peppers for a spicier option. The meat is then hung and air-dried for 5 to 8 days, depending on how moist you want the final product to be.
Biltong is an excellent source of protein, with approximately 57.2 grams per 100-gram serving. The process of drying rather than cooking means that the meat retains most of its nutrients, including important minerals like iron, zinc, and magnesium.
Our meat products are made fresh here in Germany (Stuttgart) from South African recipes and spices.
To order your Boerewors or Biltong please click here.
Strictly necessary cookies guarantee functions without which this website would not function as intended. As a result these cookies cannot be deactivated. These cookies are used exclusively by this website and are therefore first party cookies. This means that all information stored in the cookies will be returned to this website.
Functional cookies enable this website to provide you with certain functions and to store information already provided (such as registered name or language selection) in order to offer you improved and more personalized functions.
Performance cookies gather information on how a web page is used. We use them to better understand how our web pages are used in order to improve their appeal, content and functionality.
Marketing / Third Party Cookies originate from external advertising companies (among others) and are used to gather information about the websites visited by you, in order to e.g. create targeted advertising for you.